Step 2 – Preparation
The majority of staff time and support is provided during the preparation stage, which can take up to a few months. This is the most important part of the process. This time is needed to help build trust between families and staff and to help families reflect on what they might need or want to consider. This includes:
- Discussing their short and long-term goals
- Deciding who to invite into this process
- Discussing the details of the plan day (e.g., ceremonies, meals, etc.)
- Providing culturally appropriate planning tools
- Outlining other needs including transportation, childcare, etc.